Thursday, December 21, 2006

Trust Me, I Know What I'm Doing

Ah, the '80s. Joe Isuzu. The Where's the Beef lady. Robin Leach. I have been wearing glasses since 2nd grade because I sat three feet away from the TV screen, eight plus hours every day, during that entire decade of my childhood. And although many sights and sounds from the boob tube bring back fond, warm, and fuzzy feelings, nothing touches my heart, and funny bone, like Sledge Hammer!

Aside from the wardrobe and hair, the show is timeless. If it were aired today, it would be up there among the ranks of Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development.

I will not be providing an astute and analytical review of the characters, plots, and their reflection on a post-modern, Cold War era society. Rather, I have compiled a few key facts (and images) from the show to refresh the memories of my fellow Hammerheads (fans of Sledge Hammer!). Hopefully, something will bring out a happy and funny moment from the show that had been stored and abandoned in a dark recess of your memory bank. I know it has for me.

(For those who are too young to remember the show (or who had strict parents who discouraged watching sophomoric and violent TV shows), I encourage you to rent Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD, post-haste.)

Sledge's wardrobe: Cheap, ill fitting sports jacket, loud ties, sunglasses.
Motto: Trust me, I know what I'm doing.
Boss: Captain Trunk ("Hammer!!!")
Partner: Dori Doreau (What a lady...)
View on feminism: Doreau-- "What, you think all women should be barefoot and pregnant?" Hammer-- "No, I encourage women to wear shoes."
Favorite book: War and Peace (the first half)
View on liberals: Calls them yogurt-sucking creeps
Theme composer: Danny Elfman
CKY

Sign the petition for a Sledge Hammer! movie here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/1shmovie/petition.html

No comments: