Thursday, May 20, 2010

Top female singers and songs

I won't be posting again until next week.  In the meantime, enjoy these videos I put together.  They are my favorite songs from my favorite female singers.

And one more thing, the ranking is sort of arbitrary.  It changes with my mood.  This is how I rank them right now.  Today.  This hour.  This minute.  This second.

12. Kate Piersen and Cindy Wilson of The B52s singing Roam: Camp with sincerity.


11. Boy George of Culture Club singing Karma Chameleon: Strange name for a lady, no?


10. Enya singing Only Time: Alternately reminds me of my unheated college apartment in the dead of winter and sunny drives down to San Diego on Interstate 5 (segment between San Onofre and Camp Pendleton).


9. Lauryn Hill of The Fugees singing Killing Me Softly: That voice!


8. Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries singing Linger: Pure, unadulterated.


7. Bjork singing Human Behavior: Haunting, angelic.


6. Margo Timmins of Cowboy Junkies singing Sweet Jane: Smooth and suicidally depressing.


5. Annie Lennox singing No More I Love Yous: Creepy in a satisfying, passionate way.


4. Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star singing Fade Into You: Bittersweet.


3. Dido singing Thank You: Smooth.


2. Natalie Merchant of 10,000 Maniacs singing These Are Days: Sweet, youthful energy.


1. Sarah McLachlan singing Adia: The most beautiful song ever.

4 comments:

Maxichamp said...

@Alan: Yeah, no kidding. In coming up with a description of the song, I was going to say something like "crazy good". But I refrained.

Andrew said...

Ahem, Boy George is a man...

Maxichamp said...

@Andrew. What?! I feel like "crying". Are you playing a "game"?

Andrew said...

Google him. George Alan O'Dowd. Sorry for your loss :)