Saturday, October 23, 2010

Carspotting (67): Lotus Eclat

I had to run an errand early this morning in San Francisco.  I was low on gas and pulled into a Shell service station.  While pumping gas, I noticed an odd looking taillamp peaking out of a canvas-covered compact.  I was confused.  My first reaction was, Is this some kind of weird Australian import?  Then I though, Is it one of those Lotus Elites or Eclats?  I had never seen one in real life before.

So I approach the three Cantonese-speaking mechanics taking their coffee break.  May I lift the cover and take a peek?  They did not give a rat's ass.  So I lifted the cover and took these shots.

It's an Eclat.  In 1979, a new one of these cost $28,400.  I know nothing about them, but I'll take a stab in the dark and guess that they were atrociously unreliable.

This is in really bad shape.  Pobrecito.

It was last registered during the first Bush presidency.


Foam bumper falling apart.


Chia Lotus.  Ch-ch-ch-chia!

2 comments:

MattC said...

I just read the Wikipedia Entry on the Eclat. It seems like a nice car, but with poor execution that affected the resale values. I usually support a restoration, but the Eclat looks like a lost cause.

Maxichamp said...

@MattC: So much for the myth that every old car in California is pristine...and dry.