Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Interview with Eugenie Thomas, owner of earliest example U.S.-spec Porsche Cayman


As a part of Porsche Cars North America's 60th anniversary celebration, it searched high and low for the earliest examples of each U.S.-spec model.  As I was perusing the list of "winners", I noticed the Cayman was based in the Bay Area.  The 2006 arctic silver Cayman S belongs to Eugenie Thomas.  I tracked her down and asked her some questions that I had.  Eugenie was kind, energetic, and helpful.

Just a quick note before the interview: The pictures of the Cayman are stock photos from Porsche.  This weekend, weather permitting, I will meet up with Eugenie and take some pictures of her Cayman S.




Q. How did Porsche find your Cayman for the contest?
A few Porsche friends passed the Porsche request to me.  I also passed it on to many, many other Porsche owners.  The criteria was the last three numbers of the VIN (in order of completion).  Mine was 182, which means 181 were built before mine, but not located as a legal Cayman.
Q. What Porsches have you owned?  
356 (which was sold to purchase a Victorian in Alameda). 
914, which I shared with my (ex) husband.  I showed and autocrossed that car. 
912, which turned into the "bumble bee" and was raced and autocrossed and had nearly 300,000 miles on it when sold.  It was a gift for my birthday, but I was too pregnant to drive it!  Had to wait and agonizing! It ended up with a 911 engine and was an amazingly fun car. 
A second 912 which immediately had a 911 engine installed.  Promptly blew up the engine on the freeway in the dark, and alone.  Bigger 911 engine installed.  Autocrossed intensely.  Hoping to sell it very soon.  All four of my children have driven both 912s at drivers schools and just around town.  Ditto with the Best One: the Cayman S.
Q. What do you like about the Cayman?

I absolutely LOVE everything about this car. It is freaking fast! Comfortable.  All the bells and whistles.  Two trunks!  Practically drives itself.  I'm still getting used to the weight in the middle, instead of the rear, which I had perfected!  Next month I will have owned her for one year and still don't know a lot of the details. I bought two car seats for the nanny kids and grandkids.  One from Porsche and one from Recaro. Expensive, but both fit like gloves. Sitting in the front has been an adventure for the kids, since their usual view is the back of a front seat. The car feels like 65 at 95 mph. When you ride in it, or drive it (ed.:!!!), you will see what is to love. I feel like a princess while driving her.  I love the looks from people.  I just LOVE my car!
Q. People often think of Caymans as Boxsters with hardtops.  On the other hand, I've also heard that Porsche had to dial back the Cayman's capabilities so that it did not directly compete against the 911.  How do you respond?
If people think the Cayman is a Boxster with a hardtop, they need to drive both and see.  They are not the same car at all.  The Cayman is much faster and seems more luxurious to me.  I have heard the 911 story also.  Plenty of Caymans beat the 911s.  Of course it's all in the driver.
Q. Tell us about your week with the 959.  How did you get the opportunity?  What was it like on the Silverstone circuit ?  What was it like driving on the streets?

I had been collecting 959 "anythings".  There was an ad in Panorama (Porsche Club of America's monthly magazine) from a man in England, that not only had stuff for me to purchase, but also owned the real thing.  At the time they were not allowed in the U.S., except to show.  We corresponded for months and I finally went to England to drive the car for a week. 
Silverstone was an amazing experience. I lost control on the first turn and laughed the whole way (my instructor was very understanding!).  On the streets, on the wrong side, was a huge challenge.  The power was more than I was used to, so it took awhile. The old country roads were really fun. 
Interesting note at Silverstone: At the driver's meeting, I was leaning up against the wall next to another driver (I thought). We were chatting between the lectures and when finished, introduced myself, as did he: Derek Bell!  I about fainted!
Q. What is your favorite Porsche model?  Why?  What is your least favorite Porsche model?  Why?
I still have deep feelings for the 959, which used to be THE car in my eyes.  However, the Cayman has replaced that.  I so, so love my new-to-me car! 
The 914 is the least fave, just because it is so hard to drive. I’ve driven many of them and never came away saying "that was easy!" NOT.  I don't particularly like the 928 and 944s, just because they feel so big and have limited visibility.
Q. What do you think of non-traditional Porsches like the Cayenne and the Panamera?  
The Panamera is a fantastic car.  I've driven one, and was extremely impressed.  It fits the request perfectly for some, although I don't see many families in them.  Probably the high price tag.  The Cayenne is also amazing.  I've driven many and find them to perform like a 911, except higher and bigger.  I took turns fast, and it responded like a 911, not an SUV.  I really want one! Both are great examples of Porsche machines.
Q. What is the Porsche Club of America (PCA)?  What does it do?  What is your involvement/role in it?
PCA is the Porsche Club of America.  There are clubs everywhere.  There is a saying: "Porsche, it's not just the car, it's the people" and it is very true.  Most clubs in the Bay Area seem to have their own specialties.  The Diablo Region serves all of the East Bay and we do a lot of social events and tours.  Golden Gate Region in the San Francisco area does a lot of racing.  All clubs promote the love of Porsches and the people are helpful everywhere on any questions.  The enthusiasm is contagious.  I have been involved with the Porsche Club since 1993. That year I won my first Enthusiast award. I have held every position on the board, except treasurer. I am currently the Autocross chairperson for Diablo.
Q. Why do you love Porsches?
WHY???  Oh my gosh why do you love anything?  Turns me on.  Excites me.  Makes me feel very, very good!

Q. Why do you love cars?

When I was 12, the guys in my neighborhood all had souped up ‘56, ‘57 Chevys that they worked on all the time and raced at the drag strip. They let me hang around all the time and then one of them got a ‘63 Corvette and I was hooked. When I was 15, I got to drive all those cars!  A great four years of fun car immersion did it!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Where can one get one of those Porsche 60 years in America badges?

Maxichamp said...

@MacinTek: I'm not positive, but I think only the winners of the contest get a badge.

Unknown said...

Wonderful car! How great to hear the passion,excitement and love of the marque from Eugenie