Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Buying a 1980s Camaro or Mustang


Whenever I read an issue of Automobile magazine, I first turn to Jamie Kitman's column and I then check out what classic car is featured in the Collectible Classic section.  In the July 2010 issue, it examined the Fox bodied Mustang.  In the current February 2011 issue, it looks at the Mustang's direct competitor, the 1982 to 1992 Chevy Camaro.  So next time you're in the waiting room at your doctor/CPA/shrink's office, take a gander at the magazine.  It's chock full of information for prospective buyers.


4 comments:

MattC said...

Of the two, I would take a Fox bodied Mustang over the Camaro all day. Both have huge aftermarket support, stout engines, and easy to find replacable parts. But the interior of the Camaro is an unmitigated disaster(years of experience with my friend's late 80's IROC). It makes me feel smaller than I am (not the intended feeling I want in a muscle car).

Maxichamp said...

@MattC: I detested the Mustang GT because of all the body cladding but I kinda like it now.

I know what you mean with the Camaro. IIRC, with the front seat set all the way back, you have like 20' of legroom.

MattC said...

Exactly. First off the dash is too high in the Camaro, the seats too low, the sight lines too poor and you are surrounded by the worst fitting plastics. I also disliked the cladding of the GT "five oh" and prefer the 5.0LX(notchback).

Maxichamp said...

@MattC: Check this out, man.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2139740602.html