Friday, February 25, 2011

South: Buenos Aires-- Bad day

Day 21:

Tomorrow, we fly to Santiago.  We'll spend a day and a half there and then fly home.  Marge is taking a cooking class today.  I will take it easy and visit the planetarium.  So how bad of a day was it for me?

  • LAN Argentina, the national airline, just went on strike.
  • All long distance bus drivers also went on strike.
  • The heat wave is still going strong.
  • I found a hair in my lunch.
  • Because of the heat, I took a cab to the planetarium.  It cost much more than I anticipated due to a traffic jam.
  • Upon arrival, I learn that the planetarium is closed for remodeling.
  • Because of the expensive cab ride, I don't have enough cash to take a cab back to the hotel.
  • As I walk back, my ten year old hiking boot (left) disintegrates from the hot pavement.
There were two small highlights.  On my trek back to the hotel, I visited an Alfa Romeo dealership and picked up a brochure for my dream car, a red 159.  I don't think the rico suave salesman was impressed with my sweatiness or my hobo shoe.  He was drinking an espresso and chatting with the leggy receptionist when I shuffled in.


After I got back to the hotel, I saw a great indie flick called Take Out.  It's about a day in the life of a New York Chinese restaurant delivery man.

3 comments:

motoringconbrio said...

i liked "take out" a lot. the actor... is not chinese!

Maxichamp said...

@MTC: You caught that too. IIRC, he's Korean but studied a few years in Taiwan.

I was so immersed in it, I totally thought it was a real documentary. But then in the elevator scene near the end, I was like, don't those thugs know there's a camera crew in the elevator with them?!

Kimberly said...

Some things can go wrong when you travel but that must not affect you or your trip. When I travelled to Argentina there was also a demontration at the airport and I though everything was going to be a mess, and, on the contrary, everything was beyond my expectations. The rent of apartments in buenos aires was flawless and it never rained, so we I was able to do everything that I had planned.
kim