This Indonesian maid's employer claimed, in court, that these wounds were self-inflicted.
- Saudis hire foreigners to do their dirty work.
- Over 1.5 million Filipinos and over a million Indonesians work in Saudi Arabia. Many are maids.
- The maids send hundreds of millions of dollars home in remittances.
- Many maids are abused by their employers.
- An Indonesian maid, pushed to the brink of sanity (not that that is an excuse), killed her employer with a meat cleaver.
- Said maid is beheaded with a sword. The authorities don't bother to inform the maid's family about the execution until after the deed.
- The Indonesian and Filipino governments ask the Saudi government to provide more employee protections and to impose a higher minimum wage (to $400 a month).
- Saudi Arabia stops issuing work visas to Filipinos and Indonesians.
The Arab Spring/Summer couldn't arrive in Saudi any sooner.