Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Eating the Globe: Morocco


This was a close call. As my own umpire, I will count this as a Moroccan meal.

I went to this place for lunch. It was known for belly dancers at night. When I got there, it was completely empty, except for the owner's two elementary school-aged daughters. There was also a large rug in the middle of the restaurant. I assumed that's where the dancing happened.

I wanted to get the harira soup. They didn't have any so I was left with lentil soup. It was bland and watery. My dining companion, who spent a week in Marrakesh, confirmed that they have lentil soup in Morocco too. So I guess it's sort of authentic.

As for the entree, I ordered a kefta sandwich. The Dutch crunch bread roll was definitely not Moroccan, but the kefta (meat, garlic, caramelized onions, roasted tomatoes) was divine. (And I say divine even though I hate people who use the word divine to describe food.)

So all in all, it was sufficiently Moroccan for this meal to count.

Countries tried so far:
Africa: Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Morocco, South Africa
Asia: Afghanistan, Burma, China, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, Yemen
Europe: Bosnia, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Lithuainia, Spain, Sweden
North America: Canada, El Savador, Guatemala, Mexico, Trinidad & Tobago, USA
South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela
Oceania: Tonga

No comments: